- Thursday, August 27, 2015
For Indian students, Singapore is one of the favorite overseas education destinations. This is because, this country offers quality education backed by qualified, excellent faculty. Singapore however, is also the most expensive destinations in Asia.
By opting to study in Singapore, Indian students can benefit from excellent quality of life, quality of education and entertainment. This country is vibrant and energetic and offers a lot in terms of food, shopping and night life. Singapore is also a very attractive tourist destination which means there is no dearth of beautiful locations where students can go for short vacations and breaks.
Singapore has three main universities offering a wide range of courses. They include the NUS or National University of Singapore, SMU or Singapore Management University, NTU or the Nanyang Technological University and SUTD or the Singapore University of Technology & Design. In conjunction with leading universities across the world, joint programs are also offered by a host of other local universities.
Cost of education for post graduate course in this country ranges between S$ 7500 to S$ 8500 and for undergraduate courses between S$ 6500 and S$ 7500. The standard living expense here, depending on your lifestyle, may amount to at least S$2000. It is therefore a good idea trying for a scholarship as this country offers many options.
Here are 5 major scholarships Indian students can access in Singapore –
1. Syngenta MBA scholarships for developing country leaders or INSEAD – This scholarship are open to MBA students studying in the Singapore or France campus of INSEAD. This scholarship is open to students with leadership potential, aptitude for financial management and business, academic qualifications and a desire to make a significant contribution to the society at large. Annually, two scholarships are awarded per class and the scholarship amounts to €22,500 per year.
2. National University of Singapore Lee Kong Chian Graduate Scholarships – This is a performance based, yearly renewed scholarship offered for a maximum of four years. It is open to students enrolling at NUS for a Ph.D program. The scholarship covers the entire tuition fees, laptop allowance, annual book allowance, travel allowance and a monthly stipend of S$3,300.
3. NUS Science & Technology Scholarship for Undergraduates – If you are enrolling for an undergraduate course in science, engineering or computers, you can apply for this scholarship. For the duration of the course, tuition fees, annual living allowance, settling-in allowance and annual on or off campus accommodation is covered by this scholarship for the course duration. Students with leadership potential and a strong academic record can apply for this scholarship that is also open to those excelling in co-curricular activities.
4. Singapore International Graduate Award – For a total of 4 years, students aspiring to do Ph.D. Science and Engineering graduate or postgraduate programs at SUTD, NTU or NUS are awarded financial support. The scholarship encompasses tuition fee, airfare, settlement allowance and monthly stipend.
5. Singapore Millenium Foundation Scholarships - This scholarship is open to international students wishing to do their postdoctoral studies or Ph.D. in engineering, renewable resources and water, environmental science, life sciences, material and physical sciences. An amount of S$6000 is awarded to postdoctoral students and S$4000 a month for Ph.D. students for the research period.
As you apply to any of the universities in Singapore, it is a good idea finding out the exact details about the available scholarships. It is also necessary to work out your finances well in advance and see if the amount you get is enough for your living expenses. For expert guidance and counselling on scholarship opportunities available in Singapore, Indian students can can visit our branch office.