Header Banner


  • Things You Must Know About Student’s Spouse Visa for New Zealand

    Things You Must Know About Student’s Spouse Visa for New Zealand
    Monday, September 28, 2015

    If you are married and are in New Zealand for pursuing your further studies, your spouse can join you with a spouse visa. In addition, you can even get your children to join you. You can stay in New Zealand right up to the time your spouse completes his/her course. A partner means a couple who have been living together for at least 12 months, and can include couples of the same sex. Dependents are children who are under 19 years of age and unmarried. Your application should be able to prove that your partner is studying in New Zealand.

    Criteria to be fulfilled for a spouse visa

    To make the whole procedure of getting a spouse visa you need to meet certain criteria, which are required by the immigration officer.

    1. The couple who are applying for this should be able to meet with the minimum requirements for recognising the partnership.

    2.  The relationship is proved genuine.

    3.  The applicant of the student visa is able to support the application of the spouse visa.

    4. The applicant for the student visa can meet the requirements for character for supporting ‘visa applications for partnership-based entry class on a temporary basis’.

    5. You should make sure that your partner holds a student visa of New Zealand to study for a higher qualification or even of level 7 on the NZQF in a skilled-shortage area which is specified in the list of Long Term Skilled Shortage or probably a qualification in postgraduate.

    The required documents for spouse visa

    You need a

    a) Valid passport --valid up to minimum three months after your stay in New Zealand

    b) Make sure your Visa Application form is complete.

    c) The receipt of the paid application fee

    d)  A Receipt of Health Insurance

    e) Health and Character certificates might be required to prove the reason for staying in New Zealand.

    f) Two photographs which are passport size

    Applying for the visa

    You need to be sure you are able to pay the fees and provide the evidence required to process your visa. If there is any hitch in providing the required papers, there will be problems and you might get rejected. You need to be sure you provide the original documents for evidence. Make sure to submit the evidence of your relationship, which can include a photocopy of your marriage certificate, a civil union certificate, evidence of interdependent finances, like joint bank accounts, joint liabilities, joint assets, or joint utilities account. Besides which you will need to provide evidence that your partner will be in New Zealand the same amount of time as you.

    Evidence for health requirements and character

    If you think you will be staying in New Zealand from  6 months to 1  year you will have to provide a Chest X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096) PDF specifying if you have any risks of tuberculosis. If you have the intention for staying more than a year, you will have to provide the above along with a complete medical certificate. You need to make sure that the certificate is less than 3 months old while applying. You need to provide a police certificate if you have the intention of being in New Zealand for more than 2 years, and make sure that the certificate is less than 6 months old. This needs to be from your country where you have been residing or any other country where you have lived for more than 5 years. You can forward your application for processing and wait for the communication from the authorities.

Comments (1)

Comment By kritika hastir On Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 6:02 AM

is diploma holder go to new Zealand with his spouse on student visa

Write Comments

Security Code :* ???