GMAT stands for Graduate Management Admission Test. It is a standardised aptitude exam with a pre-defined syllabus and is required for admission to many of the world's leading Business Schools.
The GMAT score is generally accepted as one of the most valid and reliable testing schemes in graduate business schools. The exam is designed to measure the skills students require to succeed in the challenging curriculum. Being a computer-adaptive exam,it is one that assesses the student's verbal, quantitative and analytical writing skills rather than a handwritten test. Being computer-based, the GMAT exam can determine the student's ability by selecting questions based on previous answers. As the student progresses with the exam, the difficulty of questions alters in accordance with the number of correct or incorrect answers given.
It is essential to undergo proper GMAT coaching before you sit for the exam. The Chopras offers quality GMAT coaching that ensures students get the best possible preparation. Here are just a few of the reasons why students should choose to prepare for their GMAT exam with The Chopras:
- One of the largest and most successful global education companies in India with 20 years of experience in assisting students make informed decisions about their futures and guiding them about their education options both in India and overseas.
- Vast experience in providing quality test preparation programmes for some of the most common standardized tests worldwide having helped several thousand students every year to successfully achieve their desired test scores.
- Experienced, qualified and professional faculty drawn from some of the most elite institutions in India all of whom have undergone a rigorous training schedule and who are subject to a regular and thorough evaluation process to ensure that their subject knowledge and teaching practices continue to be amongst the best in the industry.
- Thorough understanding of university entry requirements and admission processes worldwide with a vast network of partner institutions across the globe where thousands of students are placed annually having successfully achieved their desired test scores.
- Flexible and convenient schedules that suit students' needs and requirements with small batch sizes that allows for personalized attention to ensure that every individual establishes realistic goals for score improvement, understands the key test concepts and is given comprehensive guidance on effective test taking strategies.
In addition, The Chopras also offers all its students a comprehensive 5 Point Study Plan built around their needs and requirements. Students enrolling for GMAT preparation with The Chopras will benefit from the ability to:
- take a demo class before enrolling
- monitor progress through personalized review sessions after class hours
- improve test scores through extra tutoring and result orientated strategies
- enhance aptitude levels through customized question pools and strategic quiz tools
- revise from question banks that mirror the test exam
Two highly powerful preparation methods that The Chopras GMAT coaching centres adopt are:
Critical Thinking Strategies: Realising that standardised tests rely on more than just the content, The Chopras constantly updates and customises its study and reference material, along with practise test papers, to ensure that it is addressing students' specific areas of concern. In addition, the faculty regularly arrange additional workshops or extra-help sessions on particular topics in which the student has underperformed in their mock test.
Essential Practice: The Chopras collection of practice tests, other than basic content and timed drills, simulate the GMAT. The realistic practice and extensive training, as well as test day tips and exam strategies provided by our expert instructors, enhance students' confidence in preparation for the actual exam.
The GMATconsists of four sections:
- AWA (Analytical Writing Assessment)
- Integrated Reasoning
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Verbal Reasoning
Structure of the GMAT General Test
|Test Section||Analytical Writing Assessment||Integrated Reasoning||Quantitative||Verbal|
|Total Number of Questions||1||12||37||41|
|Types of Questions||Analysis of an Argument||Table Analysis, Graphic||Problem Solving Data Sufficiency||Critical Reasoning Reading|
Interpretation, Multi-source reasoning, Two-part Analysis
|Comprehension Sentence Correction|
|Time Allowed||30 mins|
|75 mins||75 mins|
|0 – 51||0 - 51|
The GMAT exam can be taken in 94 countries across the world. Appointments are available six days a week all year round. Students can take the GMAT exam once every calendar month and a maximum of five times in one calendar year with scores being valid for up to five years. If a student is fortunate enough to score a perfect 800 in the GMAT examthey cannot take the GMAT again for five years (until after their score expires).
Further details about the GMAT are available on the official website:www.mba.com
The Chopras 10 key insights into the GMAT exam:
- As the student progresses with the exam, the difficulty of questions alters in accordance with the number of correct or incorrect answers given.
- The GMAT scores rely on the number of questions answered correctly and the difficulty level of those questions.
- The first question in the multiple-choice section has an 'average level'. If a student answers it correctly, the subsequent ones become more difficult. On the contrary, if the question is answered incorrectly, subsequent questions will become easier. The trend will follow until a question is answered correctly.
- The student cannot skip or return to a previous question, or change an answer.
- The student must finish the entire section and a strong penalty is imposed for leaving the test incomplete.
- The first few questions have a bigger impact on the score range than the last few.
- The performance in one section is isolated from the other.
- There are approximately 20 experimental questions in the test.
- Verbal, Quantitative, Integrated Reasoning and Total scores will appear immediately after taking the test.
- The official report is received within two weeks (with essay grades).
The cost to take the GMAT exam is US$250.00
In addition to the cost of taking the GMAT exam other charges may apply in certain circumstances:
- Re-scheduling the GMAT test costs an additional US$50.00 and thishas to be done atleast 7 calendar days prior to the test day.
- Scores need to be confirmed or cancelled by the student at the end of the test. To reinstate a cancelled score, a fee of $100.00 has to be paid.
What is a Computer Adaptive Test?
In a computer-adaptive test (CAT), questions are selected according to the student's level of intelligence. It starts with a question of average difficulty, and the correctness of the answer sets the difficulty level of the subsequent question. This pattern continues until the student gets to the end of the section and their ability on that subject has been measured.
What admission strategy must an applicant apply to increase the chances of acceptance at a Business School?
It is imperative that students put importance on their GMAT tests as well as their application essays. Their applications should exhibit their readiness for pursuing a programme at the Business School and speak of their willingness to contribute to the school environment.
Is it advisable to re-take the GMAT if the score received in the first attempt is low?
Students must make a concerted effort to prepare for the GMAT the second time and retake the exam, if they feel that their GMAT scores do not reflect their actual capabilities.
For what duration is a GMAT score valid ?
A GMAT score is valid for 5 years. While a student can retake the exam to improve upon scores, Business Schools will have access to all your scores registered for the last 5 years. Hence, candidates are advised to prepare thoroughly before sitting for the exam.
When do I consider myself ready to take the GMAT exam?
ur 48 hour module is specifically customised and designed to make a candidate 'exam ready'. However if a student is deemed to be under prepared, we offer a combination of extra tutoring, further mock tests and result oriented strategic sessions to prepare the student to take the GMAT exam.
Where can I get more information about the GMAT?
Please fill in the enquiry form available on the webpage and we get back to you at the earliest. Alternatively, you may walk into 'The Chopras' closest to you or give us a call to get more information. Details of all our offices are listed on the 'Contact Us' page of the website. Our counsellors or faculty will be happy to assist with any GMAT queries.