- Wednesday, August 05, 2015
A large number of scholarships are offered by leading Australian universities and by the Australian Government for international students. If you are a student wishing to take advantage of excellent education in this country, you can apply for undergraduate, graduate or doctoral courses here and also benefit from one of the scholarships on offer.
Scholarships provided by the Australian Government
1. IPRS or International Postgraduate Research Scholarships – Under this programme, eligible international students are offered scholarship amounts to cover their tuition fees and health insurance costs. Available for three years doctorate degree or two years Master’s by research degree, this scholarship helps students gain experience with prominent Australian researchers in their field.
2. Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarship Awards – Students aspiring for a PhD level, Masters or postgraduate qualification in any field by research or coursework are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Full financial support is awarded under this programme that includes tuition fees, monthly stipend, establishment allowance, health and travel insurance and travel allowance.
3. Australia Awards Scholarships – Previously called the ADS or Australian Development Scholarships, the Australia Awards Scholarships are especially awarded to eligible international students wishing to pursue PhD, post graduate, under graduate degrees, training courses and vocational education in the country. These scholarships covers the complete tuition fees, overseas student health cover or OSHC, living expense contribution, establishment allowance and return air travel and can be accessed in any of the participating TAFE or Technical and Further Education institutions and Australian universities.
Major scholarships offered by leading Australian Universities
1. ANU International University Scholarship – If you are applying for tertiary studies at the ANU or Australian National University for the first time and have a high level of academic achievement in your final school years, you are eligible for this scholarship. This is an extremely competitive scholarship programme that covers the complete tuition fees and also includes overseas health cover.
2. Monash University International Merit Scholarships – An amount of $10,000 is offered per year for postgraduate and undergraduate degree aspirants at the Monash University. Paying for a full time study load, this scholarship is awarded to outstanding international students.
3. Deakin University Scholarships & Bursaries – The University offers a wide range of scholarships and bursaries to assist students from different background pay for their university fee and/or study costs. Students can earn a bursary up to 25% of the tuition fee, on the basis of the percentage of their highest previous qualification.
4. Swinburne University Scholarships and Bursaries - Swinburne offers 8000 AUD$ for all 2nd year Master’s courses for students scoring more than 70% in their under-graduation. Moreover, for all Master courses in Design and undergraduate programs, they offer 25% scholarship on the total tuition fee. To be eligible for the Master’s course and undergraduate program scholarship offers, student needs to score above 70% and 85% in the 12th board exams respectively.
5. Macquarie University International Scholarships – Academically outstanding students wishing to pursue their undergraduate or postgraduate degree are awarded with scholarship covering partial tuition fee by the Macquarie University. Varying up to an amount of AUD$10,000, this scholarship is specifically given for students applying to study at this university.
6. La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships for International Students – Commonly known as the AES scholarship, this is awarded for international students who are high achievers. Students from all countries aspiring to do their postgraduate or undergraduate course at the La Trove University are eligible to apply for this scholarship that covers their tuition cost with an amount ranging between $10,000 and $20,000.
7. Adelaide Scholarships International – With an aim to attract quality international students, the ASI or Adelaide Scholarships International program offers support. Course tuition fee, health insurance costs and annual living allowance is covered by this scholarship that can be applied for by postgraduate students of research.
8. Sydney Achievers International Scholarships – Students wishing to study in the University of Sydney can apply for this scholarship. This is a prestigious scholarship that particularly aims at attracting highly qualified, meritorious international students. An amount of AUD$10,000 is offered per year for eligible students pursuing undergraduate or post-graduate course at the university.
9. Melbourne International Research Scholarships – Popularly known as the MIRS, this scholarship is awarded by the University of Melbourne for meritorious international students. The scholarship amount offers benefits such as relocation grant, living allowance, parenting and maternity leave, paid sick and thesis allowance.