Book-your-appointment Events
Header Banner


  • Getting France Student Visa

    Getting France Student Visa
    Friday, September 11, 2015

    You have decided to study in France and you need some information on how to get a student visa here. There are some factors taken into consideration before you apply for the same. The applying of a student visa depends on your situation and nationality. The procedures are different for applying to different courses, depending on the time span of these courses. Wanting to take up a degree course requires you to apply for a specific visa and studying in a short-term course requires a different visa. For those who are coming to France from Switzerland or from the EEA/EU you need to make sure you have a valid passport or a valid ID document for travel, as these are the only requirements, you do not need a visa.

    For getting a France student visa, you need to make sure

    1. If you are going to be here on a short time span, that is, if you have opted for a course which is less than or of three months. In this case, you will be required to apply for the short-term visa. This visa does not require you to apply for a student residence visa. As this visa is issued without any cost, it is not renewable. It is ideal for a short language course or any other short-term course.

    2. Visa required for entrance exams

    Getting this visa ensures you can sit for the entrance exams in one or more than one universities. Once you have passed the exam, you need to the local prefecture in France directly for a residence permit for a period of one year, which can be renewed.

    3. Visa required for a long stay on a temporary basis

    This visa is again non-renewable and allows the student to stay in France for a period of three to six months.

    4. Visa for long stay

    If you have opted for a course of more than six months, then you are required to apply for this long-stay visa. This visa will lasts for the duration of your course without the requirement of a residence permit. This visa is ideal for a bachelor’s degree of three years, or a PhD which lasts up to four years or even Master’s which lasts up to two years. These are called VLT-TS and are also considered as residence permits.

    Requirements for long stay Visa

    These VLT-TS requires you to prove your financial status besides the required information on your academics and your proficiency in the French language. When you arrive in France, you need to contact the OFII or, in other words, French Office of immigration and Integration. Here you will have to pay a fee of EUR 58 and probably have a medical examination and also provide them the form which is officially issued by the consulate.

    4. Extended stay visa for research

    If you have a higher degree than the Master’s or even the Master’s and you have decided to come here to teach at the university level or take part in research, the institution can arrange to bring you here on extended stay visa. The local prefecture needs to stamp the agreement which is given by the institution which describes the nature of your work along with the time taken. This needs to be sent to the consulate in your country accompanied by the visa application.

    Other formalities for the extended stay visa

    As the visa for long stay, you will need to contact the OFII office on your arrival. Make sure to apply for a residence permit two month prior to the expiry of the visa. You need to make sure the residence permit should last for the period of 1 to 4 years. This helps in your family and spouse coming to France without any complications.

Comments (0)

No comment posted.

Write Comments

Security Code :* ???