Header Banner


  • What After Graduation in Canada

    What After Graduation in Canada
    Wednesday, July 08, 2015

    There are a number of options available for international students once they have completed their graduation in Canadian institutions or universities. Students can either choose to remain in Canada or go back to their home countries. International students who choose the latter option will have a global degree that will greatly help them to find lucrative career options back home.

    However, if the international students choose to remain in Canada they can make use of innumerable opportunities for employment and further studies. Graduates can opt to continue their studies while working in Canada in order to earn advanced credentials. They can also start working in Canada to get valuable work experience or a chance to immigrate. In fact, it becomes easier to permanently immigrate to Canada when the students have work experience in the country. There is a postgraduate work programme in place to help international students start working in Canada.

    Postgraduate Work Programme

    This particular programme helps international students begin working in Canada after they have completed their graduate level studies. The students must have completed their graduation from a Canadian institution that offers postgraduate studies as well. The institutions, most importantly, must be participating in the programme.

    International students will be issued a special work permit that will allow them to work for the duration of the study course. However, the permit will only be valid for a maximum period of three years even if the study programme takes more time to complete. It is not possible for the permit to be valid for more than the duration of the course. Therefore, if the course lasts only a year, then the permit will also be valid for a year. At the same time, the permit will not be issued if the course lasts less than eight months.

    Eligibility Criteria for the Programme

    In order to get the permit under the Postgraduate Work Programme the international student needs to fulfill the following criteria.

    • The student must have studied a full-time course in Canada and the course should have lasted a minimum of eight months.
    • The student should have completed their graduation from a public institution that offers postgraduate studies. Private institutions will also be applicable as long as they operate under the same rules as the public ones.
    • Students have to apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving the written confirmation from the institution declaring that they have met the requirements for completion of the academic course.
    • The student should have completed and passed his chosen course and received authentic notifications about the degree, certificate or diploma.
    • At the time of applying for the permit, the student should be at least 18 years old.
    • The study permit should be valid at the time when the work permit is being applied for.
    • International students should have completed a full-time course that lasted a minimum of 900 hours if they were studying for DEP or ASP.
    • Students must also ensure that the institution they studied in issues a letter stating the duration of their studies along with their course code.

    It is possible for international students to become permanent residents of Canada to enjoy complete access to the various jobs in the country. They can do so with the help of the Canadian Experience Class programme. The students will find it easier to do so if they have successfully made use of their postgraduate Work Programme Permit. The jobs that are currently popular in Canada are in the field of law and the ones that are associated with the energy sector.

Comments (0)

No comment posted.

Write Comments

Security Code :* ???