Arts University Bournemouth
1. Overview of the institution
The first art school in Bournemouth was the Bournemouth Government School of Art, established in 1880. There was a considerable demand in Bournemouth at that time for instruction in Art and the numbers in the art school soon rose to 180. In 1884, the school became a Science and Art school. In June 2012 the Government announced that the qualifying threshold required by an institution in order to gain full university status was to be lowered from 4,000 to 1,000 full-time higher education students. The Arts University College at Bournemouth satisfied this criterion for full university title and officially became Arts University Bournemouth (AUB)
2. Location and facilities
Most courses are based within one campus which is located in Poole, next to Bournemouth University and Wallisdown. The Campus covers around 3.7 hectares and houses 19 buildings with specialist workshops and workspaces, many of which are shared across similar courses
Notable facilities include:
- The Library – Over 50,000 books available covering a range of art, design, media, and performance subjects.
- TheGallery – A gallery open to the public displaying both international touring exhibitions, and work from alumni, staff, and students.
- MoDiP (Museum of Design and Plastics) – The only accredited museum in the UK with a focus on plastics. MoDiP is located inside the AUB library.
- The CRAB Drawing Studio, an innovative building designed by the Cook-Robotham Architectural Bureau led by Professor Sir Peter Cook, which was shortlisted for the 2016 RIBA South West Awards. It is the first purpose-built drawing studio to open in the UK for 100 years, emphasising natural light and featuring a large circular north-light and a rear clerestory, which provides softer light.
- The Student Services Building, which also houses the Students’ Union, and facilities management.This building was also shortlisted for the 2016 RIBA South West Awards.
3. Departments/Subject areas
Arts University Bournemouth is currently divided into the following faculties:
- Faculty of Media & Performance
- Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture
The university also validates courses in various art-related subjects for Bournemouth and Poole College and Cleveland College of Art & Design.
- The Complete University Guide 2016 national rank:57
- Sunday times 2016 national rank:59
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identities. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award in the form of a reduced tuition fees. Contact The Chopras now for getting the right scholarship based on your academic merits and other talents.
Click Here to know more about UK University Scholarships.
6. Careers: Unique student support
Practical Advice And Support
Wellbeing support is not the same as counselling; it focuses on identifying practical strategies for managing any difficulties you may be experiencing. This may involve help with time management and motivation, coping strategies for managing your studies, or guidance on benefits and accessing community services.
At AUB you will discover loads of opportunities for your personal development – artistically, academically and socially. We are here to support you through all of this – no matter what your individual needs.