Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU-M40)
1. Overview of the institution
Manchester Metropolitan University (known also as Manchester Met or MMU) has a history dating back 191 years and was awarded university status in 1992. Its art and design school is the second oldest in the UK (established, 1838). Other old departments include Manchester Mechanics' Institution (1824), School of Commerce (1889), School of Education (1878), School of Domestic Science (1880) and School of Domestic and Trades College (1911).
Manchester Met has an approximate student population of 37, 000 with around 9% of students coming from outside Europe. In 2014 there were approximately 50 students from India studying at Manchester Met. However, the numbers of students choosing Manchester Met have grown significantly in 2015.
Manchester Metropolitan University is popularly known as The University for World Class Professionals. It is a public university with a full Sponsor License.
2. Location and facilities
Manchester Met is located on two campuses in North West England. The main campus is in the centre of Manchester, the UK's second city. Students enjoy a modern, safe, and pleasant campus at the heart of the UK's most popular student city, with a choice of plentiful accommodation available on- or off-campus. The Cheshire campus is located in relaxing surroundings in the town of Crewe, 35 minutes by train from Manchester. The university website provides guides containing general advice on staying safe around Manchester and Cheshire.
A dedicated student services team offers international students career advice, counselling, learning support, and chaplaincy. There is a student support officer based in each and every faculty.
Manchester Met is known as "The University for World Class Professionals" and has probably the most advanced careers service in the UK - further information at www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/
Both Manchester Met campuses offer leisure, sport, social and entertainment and accommodation facilities.
Students seeking part-time work opportunities are supported by the Jobs Hub (see http://manmet.prospects.ac.uk/).
If a student flies into Manchester International Airport, there will be a team to greet them and transport them to their accommodation.
English Language Support for International Students (ELSIS) provides free, year- round English classes for international students at Manchester Met in every faculty with a focus on skills needed for good quality academic writing, listening, reading, and speaking.
Good, affordable vegetarian food is offered in the university restaurants and cafes and is readily available locally (for example, the UK's oldest vegetarian café On the Eighth Day is 30 seconds walk from the Manchester campus). A good choice of halal food is also available.
There is a choice of eight student accommodation sites plus more than 40 private student halls.
3. Departments/Subject areas
37000 students study across eight Faculties on two campuses, making Manchester Metropolitan University one of the UK's largest higher education institutions, with more undergraduate students than any other university. A wide range of courses are available.
- Cheshire Campus
- Faculty of Business & Law – including Manchester Law School
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care
- Faculty of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences
- Faculty of Science & Engineering
- Hollings Faculty – including Department of Apparel; Food, Nutrition and Hospitality; Tourism & Events Management
- Manchester School of Art (alsoManchester School of Architecture)
- Faculty of Cheshire
2. Popular courses include:
- Bachelors Degrees
- BA (Hons) Business Management:
- BA Architecture:
- BEng (Hons.) Mechanical Engineering:
- BA (Hons) Photography:
- BA (Hons) Fashion:
- BA (Hons) Illustration with Animation:
- BA (Hons)Sports Management:
- BA (Hons)Textiles in Practice:
- BA (Hons)Multimedia Journalism:
- BA (Hons.) Dance:
- BA (Hons.) Economics:
- BA (Hons.) Fashion:
- BA (Hons.) Interior Design:
- BSc (Hons.) Biomedical Science:
- BA Hons. Accounting & Finance:
- BSc (Hons.) Computer Science:
- Masters Degrees
- MSc International Business & Management:
- MSc International Fashion Business: Marketing Management:
- MA Multimedia Journalism:
- MSc Advanced Physiotherapy, Physiotherapy Focus:
- MSc Educational Leadership & Management:
- MA International Events Management:
- MA International Tourism and Hospitality Management:
- MA Animation:
- MA Architecture & Urbanism:
- MA Creative Writing:
- MA Design: Jewellery:
- MA Fashion Innovation:
- MA Fashion: Womenswear:
- MA Filmmaking:
- MA Graphic Design and Art Direction:
- MA Health & Social Care:
- MA Interior Design:
- MSc Accounting & Finance:
- MSc Business Management:
- MSc Computer and Network Security:
- MSc Electronic Engineering:
- MSc Financial Management:
- MSc Human Resource Management:
- MSc Logistics & Supply Chain Management:
- MSc Marketing:
- MSc Marketing (Creative Advertising):
- MSc Mechanical Engineering:
- M Arch Master Of Architecture:/li>
- MSc Product Design:
- MSc International Fashion Business: Buying and Merchandising Management:
- ACCA Professional Level:
- LLM (Master of Laws):
Manchester Metropolitan University are pleased to welcome applications from students at The Chopras Institute of Professional Education into Year 2 of a wide range of Bachelors Degree programmes.
For many Indian students aspiring for high quality education in the field they choose, study abroad scholarships prove great. Scholarships make education affordable and enable you to access the best universities in the world. Based on your merit, The Chopras Overseas Consultants match you to the right university.
Click Here to know more about UK University Scholarships.
The University has moved up the league tables in recent years and is highly placed in many subject areas.
- Institution Rankings
- Manchester Met is #3 Most Popular UK University (number of applications via UCAS)
- #1 Most Accredited University in the UK (2015) – more than 70 professional accreditations
- #3 Greenest University (2015)
- Department Rankings
- Business and Law
- 98% graduate employment rate (DLHE 2014)
- AMBA accredited – AACSB (USA) accreditation pending 2015
- Manchester School of Art
- The Art and Design research community is the 5th most powerful in the UK
- #6 for Research (UK government, REF)
- #8 for Research (UK government, REF)
- Research in Health was rated 12th out of 89 UK universities according to the Times Higher Education rankings.
- Teacher training programmes rated “Outstanding” by UK government (Ofsted)
- Early Years Teaching awarded highest ranking in 2014 by UK government (QAA)
- Healthcare, Psychology and Social Care
- Healthcare ranked #12 for Research (UK government, REF)
- Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences
- Highest ranked for Research of new universities outside London by UK government (REF)
- English ranked #8 for Research, Sociology #10 for Research (UK government, REF)
- Science and Technology
- School of Engineering is certified with the EUR-ACE European quality label for BEng degrees
- "Centre of Excellence" for teaching Hospitality, Tourism and Events Management
- Subject Rankings
- Ranked Top 25 in the UK in 13 subject areas (Complete University Guide 2016)
- Ranked in Top 75 for 100% of subjects (Complete University Guide 2016)
- Rankings for key subjects (Complete University Guide 2016):
- ARCHITECTURE – #13 (not Manchester School of Architecture is run jointly between Manchester Met and University of Manchester)
- ART & DESIGN – #16
- BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT STUDIES – #56
- COMMUNICATION & MEDIA STUDIES - #42
- COMPUTER SCIENCE - #65
- EDUCATION - #25
- ENGLISH - #53 (CUG). 94% NSS
- FOOD SCIENCE - #24
- LAW - #43
- MARKETING - #29
- MECHANICAL ENGINEERING - #51
- PHYSIOTHERAPY - #26
- SPORTS SCIENCE - #54
- Manchester Metropolitan University is famous as the University for World Class Professionals. Many courses offer internships.
- Students can see an experienced Careers Advisor to get free careers advice and help with their CV/ job applications.
- Manchester Met run careers events where students can learn how to become more employable. Employers may also be present at such events to speak to students.
- The careers service also help students to prepare for interviews (e.g. mock interviews).
- 'Jobs Hub Online' provides details of part- time, work experience and graduate job vacancies
- 'Graduate Prospects' comprehensive website provides careers information and advice for international students. Students can search for graduate vacancies, find information on working in the UK and look through country specific careers information
- 'The Writing Project' is a free 10 week course at Manchester Met offering sessions to improve writing style, structure and clarity of expression. Such will equip students with the skills necessary to write a CV and covering letter of high quality.
- MMU has a helpful careers website with great tips for job seekers and for career planning at: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/