1. Overview of the institution
The university grew out of merger between different schools and colleges in North London. The oldest and perhaps the most prominent was the Hornsey College of Art, founded in 1882. Other institutions included Ponders End Technical Institute (founded in 1901) and Hendon Technical Institute (founded in 1939). All three were amalgamated to form Middlesex Polytechnic in January 1973.
In 2012, the university re-structured its academic schools to align them more closely with the needs of industry. Courses at Middlesex are now delivered by the schools of Business, Law, Art and Design, Health and Education, Media and Performing Arts and Science and Technology, alongside the university Institute for Work Based Learning.
2. Location and facilities
Middlesex London offers students a first-class education in one of the world's truly great cities.
In recent years we have invested more than £200 million to transform the campus into a state-of-the-art centre for excellence, with facilities and equipment that rival those of the world's top universities.
Middlesex London is also a beautiful place to study. At its heart is the historic College building, centred around an expansive courtyard where students and staff can meet in a relaxed atmosphere. There are also many other open areas where you can socialise in exhibition spaces, cafes and parks.
And, at just a few stops on the Northern Line from the centre of town, you will have all that London has to offer at your fingertips.
3. Departments/Subject areas
The university is divided into six schools and an Institute for Work Based Learning.
- School of Art and Design
- School of Media and Performing Arts
- Business School
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Health and Education
- School of Law
- Institute for Work Based Learning
- The university has been awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize three times and has twice received Queen's Award for Enterprise (for its international work).
- People and Planet places Middlesex 24th in league table of UK’s most sustainable universities
- Middlesex University has been named in the top four per cent of the world's universities after making it into the QS World University Rankings
- In 2006, the university was ranked second in a re-assessment of teaching quality in all English universities
- The Social Science Research Network (SSRN) ranks the university Business School the 209th international business schools in the world.
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identities. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award in the form of a reduced tuition fees. Contact The Chopras now for getting the right scholarship based on your academic merits and other talents.
Click Here to know more about UK University Scholarships.
6. Careers: Unique student support
The Employability Service
Located at the heart of the campus, just off the Quad, is the central point for providing you with careers information and advice. We offer a range of support and services to help prepare you for your future. You can access this support for life as an undergraduate, postgraduate or alumnus.
1-1 support from an Employability Adviser through telephone, email or webcam on any aspect of the job search from application to interview
An online employability portal, MDXjobs packed full of resources, templates and self-assessments that help you identify and develop skills that employers look for
Exclusive access to thousands of vacancies, including those sourced specifically for Middlesex University students on MDXjobs
1-1 support from a School-specific Employability Business Partner to help you secure a placement, internship, graduate job or volunteering opportunity
Skills workshops and events tailored to your programme of study where you can network with employers, alumni and professional bodies