University of Dundee
1. Overview of the institution
The University of Dundee (abbreviated as Dund. for post-nominals) is a public research university based in the city and Royal burgh of Dundee on the east coast of the central Lowlands of Scotland, United Kingdom. It is consistently ranked within the Top 300 universities in the world.
Founded in 1881 the institution was, for most of its early existence, a constituent college of the University of St Andrews alongside United College and St Mary's College located in the town of St Andrews itself. Following significant expansion, the University of Dundee became an independent body in 1967 whilst retaining much of its ancient heritage and governance structure. Since its independence, the university has grown to become an internationally recognised centre for research.
2. Location and facilities
The University is largely based within the West End of the City of Dundee, which has been subject to a large degree of studentification and an expansion of both the university and the city centre to meet.
- Campus Shops: Location and list of shops available on campus see Campus Map.
- Chaplaincy: The chapel, coffee bar and lounge are available for use for functions, events, exhibitions, parties, conferences, seminars and lunchtime concerts.
- Conference & Meeting Facilities: Facilities available for hire including a conference centre, training complexes, seminar rooms, foyers, and theatres.
- DNA Sequencing Services - see The Sequencing Service, School of Life Sciences
- Duncan of Jordanstone College Materials Shop (available for internal students and staff only).
- IT Suites and IT Facilities (available for internal student and staff use only).
- Library & Learning Centre: The LLC has six principal sites and 24/7 access to academic e-resources and the virtual learning environment. Students, staff and external members are welcome to use the LLC's services.
- Sports Facilities: The Institute for Sport and Exercise offers facilities for hire for sporting and other events e.g. company sports day; seminars; quad training sessions. Corporate membership packages are also available.
- Video Conferencing Facilities.
3. Departments/Subject areas
School of Art and Design
Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design (DJCAD)
School of Dentistry
School of Education and Social Work
Education and Social Work
School of Humanities
Centre for Archive and Information Studies
School of Life Sciences
School of Medicine
School of Nursing and Health Sciences
Nursing & Midwifery
School of Social Sciences
Accountancy and Finance
Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy
Centre for Water Law, Policy and Science (under the auspices of UNESCO)
Marketing and Management
Town and Regional Planning
School of Science & Engineering
Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification
- Ranked 123rd in the Top 200 of the rankings inTimes Higher Education.
- Good University Guide’s league table, we have risen eight places to 37th in the UK rankings and to fourth in Scotland.
- Ranked 19th= in the World's Top 100 Universities founded in the last 50 years, and one of only two UK universities in the Top 20
- Also awarded a Gold Award for Citations, which are only awarded to the Top 10% of universities ranked in the core indicators
- Ranked Top in the UK for 'Citations' and 'Income from Industry' measures
- The University of Dundee has been ranked top in Scotland and 15th in the UK in the 2015 National Student Survey (NSS).
- Dundee University Students’ Association (DUSA) remains the top university students’ union in Scotland and fourth in the UK in this year’s poll, strengthening its grip on these positions.
- The University recorded overall satisfaction of 90 per cent, well above the sector average of 86 per cent
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identities. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award in the form of a reduced tuition fees. Contact The Chopras now for getting the right scholarship based on your academic merits and other talents.
Click Here to know more about UK University Scholarships.
6. Careers: Unique student support
The Centre takes the professional development of its students seriously and is the only school within the university to have a dedicated careers adviser located within the school.
One-to-one advice sessions can take place in person or online. These are bookable in advance.
Employer and Industry Events
These run throughout the year and vary from employer presentations to careers fairs and industry conferences.
Dedicated Seminars and Workshops
These are offered throughout the year on a range of topics such as writing effective CVs, completing applications, preparing for interviews and networking.
Online Careers Materials
Access to dedicated careers handouts, including tips on researching organisations and job hunting advice.