University of Southampton
1. Overview of the institution
The University of Southampton has its origin as the Hartley Institution which was formed in 1862 from a benefaction by Henry Robinson Hartley (1777–1850). In 1902, the Hartley College became the Hartley University college, a degree awarding branch of the University of London. On 29 April 1952, Queen Elizabeth II granted the University of Southampton a Royal Charter, the first to be given to a university during her reign, which enabled it to award degrees.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework Southampton was ranked 8th for research intensity. Besides being recognised as one of the leading research universities in the UK, Southampton has also achieved consistently high scores for its teaching and learning activities.
2. Location and facilities
Southampton is a vibrant city with a unique waterfront location and a diverse population. Recognised as the cultural, retail and commercial capital of the south of England, it’s a great place to shop, eat, socialise and enjoy sports and the arts.
Facilities on campus
Studying and research
On campus you can find all the modern teaching and learning environments and groundbreaking research facilities you would expect from a leading university. Everything's within easy reach, either on foot or using our own unilink bus service.
Sports and leisure
Our campuses have outstanding sports facilities, great entertainment options, and a huge choice of bars, cafes, shops and restaurants.
3. Departments/Subject areas
- Faculty of Business, Law and Art
- Faculty of Engineering and the Environment
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Sciences and Engineering
- Faculty of Social, Human and Mathematical Sciences
- 2015/2016 QS World University Rankingsranked Southampton 81st overall in the world (and up to 2015 in the top 100 worldwide for nine consecutive years).
- As of 2014 the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities places Southampton 32nd worldwide and 5th in the UK
- The Center for World University Rankings ranks Southampton 11th in the UK.
- Scimago institutions rankings puts Southampton 11th for research output and 13th for scientific talent pool. Also, Southampton is one of the few British universities who succeed a top 20 position in all of the most established international and national rankings
- Southampton is the only UK university in which every engineering department has received the top 5* rating for research.
- The Guardian ranked the university at number 1 in the UK for Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Electronic and Electrical Engineering in 2011
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identities. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award in the form of a reduced tuition fees. Contact The Chopras now for getting the right scholarship based on your academic merits and other talents.
Click Here to know more about UK University Scholarships.
6. Careers: Unique student support
Career and employability services
We provide careers information, advice and guidance to over 25,000 students. With a range of online resources, workshops, presentations and one-to-one discussions we are well equipped to help you source and reach your career goals.
Every year we help thousands of University of Southampton students make decisions about their future and provide access to a variety of information including:
- CV and Application Advice
- Interview and Assessment Centre Preparation
- Online Psychometric Tests
- Further Study Options
- Internships and Placements
- Job Vacancies
- eBooks and Videos
Facilities for conducting telephone and Skype Interviews.