California State University Chico
1. Overview of the institution
California State University, Chico (also known as CSU Chico or Chico State), is the second-oldest campus in the 23 campus California State University system. Chico State was founded in 1887, making it the second oldest CSU campus in the state. Chico’s tradition of academic excellence goes back more than 125 years. It is located in Chico, California, about ninety miles north of Sacramento.
CSU, Chico has come a long way since its founding in 1887. The frontiers of knowledge and the tools of teaching have expanded beyond the imagination of the Normal school’s first students. Yet, as the 125th anniversary events remind us, CSU, Chico is a place of enduring traditions as well as growth and transformation.
2. Location and facilities
- Chico is among the "Best Green Places to Live" (U.S. News & World Report), the "Best Places in America" (Forbes Magazine), and has one of the "Best Mid-Size Downtowns" in California (CA Planning & Development Report).
- Within two hours of Chico you’ll find opportunities to enjoy winter sports, hiking, biking, paddling, and backpacking.
- Chico has multiple parks, fitness facilities, golf courses, performance venues, bowling alleys, and movie theaters.
- The city’s Bidwell Park—the 13th largest municipally owned park in the nation—features swimming holes and hiking trails nestled among 3,680 acres of natural beauty.
- Shuttle Services/Train Service
North Valley Shuttle (Chico-based) provides transportation to and from the Sacramento Airport. The Amtrak station is located at West Fifth and Orange Streets.Amtrak has a combination train and bus trip to Los Angeles and points south or to the San Francisco Bay Area that leaves Chico four times daily.
3. Departments/Subject areas
The university has more than 50 Departments and offers more than 150 undergraduate degrees. It is organized into seven colleges and four schools.
- College of Agriculture
- College of Behavioral & Social Sciences
- College of Business
- College of Communication & Education
- College of Engineering, Computer Science & Construction Management
- College of Humanities & Fine Arts
- College of Natural Sciences
- Graduate Studies
- Regional & Continuing Education
- School of Communication
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Social Work
- Chico State received the best score possible on the U.S. Department of Education's College Scoreboard.
- The University has been rated a top-10 regional public university in the West by U.S. News and World Report since 1998, when the rankings began.
- Chico State was named to The Princeton Review’s 2014 Green Honor Roll, receiving the highest possible score.
- 6th Best Public Master's Level University in the West (2011) from U.S. News & World Report
Most institutions have certain core competencies that form the foundation for their research, education delivery and reputation. Hence, in order to enhance their ideologies and knowledge systems, universities introduce programmes and study abroad scholarships that are unique to their identities. These study international scholarships opportunities are highly competitive and are awarded on the basis of various factors including academic, personal achievements, extra-curricular activities, overall profiles, etc. They often award in the form of a reduced tuition fees. Contact The Chopras now for getting the right scholarship based on your academic merits and other talents.
Click Here to know more about Universities Scholarships.
6. Careers: Unique student support
Chico State Career Center provides a wide variety of career development programs for students of all majors and class levels, and for all alumni. We offer services to help students with the transition from student to working professional or graduate student.
Career & Internship Resources for All Majors
- Career & Internship Advising
- Grad School Advising
- Drop-in, 1-4 p.m., M-F when school is in session
- One-on-One Appointments
- On-Campus Interviews
- Resume & Cover Letter Reviews
- Individual Job Search Strategies
- Interview Preparation/Mock Interviews
- Career Fairs, Information Sessions, & Seminars
- JobCat—online database to search for jobs and internships
- Career Assessments